Thursday, October 29, 2009


It is, of course, tradition that we carve pumpkins for Halloween. I would probably feel like I missed out on the Halloween spirit if I didn't. However, I realized that I made a mistake by getting three pumpkins. I thought that it would be fun to let Luci have her own pumpkin. I guess I didn't take into consideration that I would be gutting and carving both hers and mine. I also made the mistake of using one of those paper stencils of a witch on Luci's pumpkin. It took me a half hour just to punch out the stencil and another ten minutes to trace it onto the pumpkin. Then, as I began to carve it, the marker started smearing everywhere. Apparently it was a washable marker . . . why would they include a washable marker in the kit if they knew that pumpkins are wet and gooey? (not to mention your hand rubs all over the pumpkin while you are carving) So, needless to say, I was free handing after the first minute. By the time I finished Luci's I did not feel like carving mine at all. But, since I had already spent five dollars on it, I figured I better not waste it. Hopefully I created a nice childhood memory for Luci, otherwise I am not sure it was worth it. Next year, I am not getting a pumpkin for me :)

So this picture might have just made it all worth it. I told Luci to make a witch face and this is what she did.



These are our finished pumpkins. It's not the greatest picture, so it's hard to see all the fine lines and details I carved in Luci's. Leave it to Kirk to have the most perfect looking pumpkin.

3 comments:

Nicole Marsh said...

hahahah, I love that picture of Luci!!! I was laughing and laughing she is so cute.
we got two small pumpkins out of Blake's family's garden and I was thinking I wanted to get my own, but now I changed my mind. I dont want to gut it.

Unknown said...

they turned out so super cute. Oh my gosh

Dione said...

That face Luci is pulling is priceless!