Sunday, February 5, 2012

January

January has been a fun and busy month for us. Here are a few highlights.

Snow

Our winter has been really mild this year (Yes!!). It has only snowed a few of times, much to Luci's disappointment. A couple of weeks ago we had a bigger snowfall and my girls were so excited! We made it out there as a family to build snowmen and had a lot of fun.

The snow was really hard to roll into balls so we made piles of snow and carved the snowmen out of them. Kirk, Luci, and I each made our own and Clara roamed around trying to knock them down. Once Kirk's snowman was done, she stopped trying to knock it over and was really sweet to it. We even caught her giving him a kiss:)


Kirk's
Mine (inspiration from pinterest)



Luci's
Luci was determined to make her snowman without any help. A few times she broke down in tears because it wasn't working, but still refused to have any help. In the end she was very pleased with her snowman. I'm glad she's such a hard worker!


Foot Rub

The other day I got lotion out to rub Kirk's feet and the girls thought it looked fun so they took over. If I had known all we needed to do was get the lotion out and they'd drop everything to rub our feet, I would have been doing this a long time ago.


My girls

I love seeing my girls bond. I found Luci in bed with Clara again, so sweet!


Buying a Home

Our biggest news lately is that we are buying a house (half of a duplex really)! It was built in the 1940's after World War II, but fortunately has a lot of updated things in it. We are buying it through a first time home buyer program that helps make the cost more affordable by leasing us the land and selling us just the home. We won't close on our loan until the middle of March, but they started letting us have the key to clean it and prep for paint. Yesterday Kirk spent the whole day working on it. The girls and I stopped by for a little bit too, but found we were more of a burden than a help.

Buying a home is bittersweet for me. I'm so excited to have our own little place! We get to paint the walls and have a yard! It is also a sign that we are committed to living here longer. There are may things I like about our town, but I really miss family. I never thought that we would move across the country and stay here. But, here we are. Kirk has a job that he is really happy with and we have good friends, so we can't complain.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new home but I wish it was in Utah and not back east. I love the snowmen they turned out really cute.

Lori said...

I am so happy for you. If you can't live near family, State College is a great place to be! We miss it badly, but it is nice here, too. Good luck with your move!

Michele said...

So happy for you! Buying your first place is so exciting. We bought our condo about 2 years ago and although it's not where we will stay in the long run at least it's ours for now. That's great you have some land and a place to play outside and have a garden. That is something that I miss tremendously! Glad you have some good friends close by even if your family is far away. Take care!

The Tharps said...

I love the snowmen, they turned out so cute! Congratulations on buying your first home, I can understand the bitter sweetness but I bet you will love it! :)

Marisa Jean said...

Buying a home seems so, so, permanent. :( BOO! But at the same time, I'm SSSSSOOO excited for you to have your own place!!! I for sure need to get off my butt and get a plane ticket out to see you now!

By the way, I LOVE your snowman. Ha ha! I might just have to steal that idea! :)

Ben and Summer said...

Wow, congratulations on buying your first place! I agree, it can be very bittersweet. We are still trying to decide whether or not to go that route. The girls are so sweet! I love the snowmen, isn't it fun to play out in the snow with the little kids? You guys are great, hope we get to get together again someday!

Nicole Marsh said...

I want to see more pic of the house! I am so excited that you are able to get your own place. I can't wait to see it!! I love the snowmen, what a fun idea. That is so cute that Luci and Clara are so close. I hope that Izzy and Maelie will be that way. I wish that my kids would rub my feet. I think that they are like Blake and hate feet. Poopy kids.

Stephanie said...

Congratulations on your new home! Want to make sure that investment is protected? Check out IntelliQuote for quotes on life insurance policies that could help protect that home for generations to come. http://bit.ly/A4n809