Sunday, July 24, 2011

Temple Trip

Ever since President Monson's talk in April, we've been trying to go to the Temple once a month. We usually rotate between the DC temple which is 3.5 hours away and the Palmyra Temple which is 4 hours away. Whichever Temple we choose, it takes a full day to drive there, each get a turn in the temple while the other one watches the kids, and drive back. It's worth it though! We've felt really blessed since we started this!

Yesterday was the day we had set aside to go. It was going to be over 100 degrees in DC (and humid) so we decided to go to Palmyra. In order to make it to the sessions in time we had to leave by 5:30am. Well, we ended up sleeping in too long to make the session so we thought no problem, we'll just drive to the DC temple. We drove all the way there only to pull into an empty parking lot! The temple was closed for cleaning! What do we do now? Our girls were sick of being in the car and we'd seen everything in the visitors center so many times. We ate our picnic lunch on the lawn while we brainstormed. It was so hot though that we couldn't think clearly. We hopped in the car and searched the GPS for ideas. After much debate, the Air and Space museum was our choice. Traffic was bad and it took an hour to get there. On the way Clara pooped. It was smelling more ripe than usually, and I just blamed it on the heat. A little while later I noticed how unusually quiet Clara was being. I turned around to check on her and she waved at me, revealing her pooped covered hand! It was everywhere!! We still had a little ways to get to the museum, so I tried my best to clean up what I could from the front seat. As soon as we got to the museum, Kirk dropped me off at the front door and I ran in carrying her airplane style hoping I wouldn't get poop on my white skirt. Before I could get to the bathroom I had to go through security. The security guard searching my bag looked at me funny when he saw how I was carrying her. Then he noticed the lovely poop streaks and soaking wet shorts and immediately directed me to the bathroom. Clara was so covered in poop that I stripped her down, soaped her up and gave her a bath in the sink. She was not happy! Luckily the changing table was in it's own room so no one had to see what a gross mess it was!

Life can sure be crazy! I wouldn't change it! We'll always look back on this day and laugh!!

While Clara was entertaining herself with poop, Luci was going through my purse and trying on my glasses. She wanted me to take this picture with the glasses on the end of her nose.


The space shuttle was the coolest part! It was huge!



This was Kirk's favorite. Not the greatest picture though!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

Oh man what a crazy time. I'm glad you can laugh about it! The doll house you made was just...WOW....amazing. The detail and time you put into it is incredible. Luci will always treasure it I'm sure! You're so creative and talented!

Nicole Marsh said...

Haha!! That is too funny. That is too bad that the temple was closed. I hate when that happen but I have never had to drive 4 hours to get there to find that out. I would be so disapointed.

The Hoggan's said...

Hahaha! I always love reading your blog, because you never sugar coat it or blab about how your kids are perfectly behaved...it makes me feel like my kids are actually normal =)

Ben and Summer said...

Oh. My. Goodness. You are so good to laugh at this - crazy! That is the kind of day that would make me want to laugh and scream and cry all at once. I'm sure you are receiving the blessings for good intentions though! What a wonderful family you are!

Marisa Jean said...

Bwahahahaha! I shouldn't laugh that hard, but this story almost made me pee a little. He he...gotta love kids.

Too bad about the temple, and good for you for making the sacrifice to go! I seriously admire you and Kirk. Good examples for me and Jonny!