Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Half Birthday

The other day Luci asked me, "how come it's going to be a long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long, long day until my birthday?" My replies weren't enough to appease her longing to have a birthday so we decided to celebrate her half birthday, which is today!

To celebrate, Kirk made her a half of a carrot cake with carrots from our garden. Added bonus: it was half whole wheat and half home made (store bought frosting). We gave her three and a half candles and sang Happy half-Birthday to her. Hopefully it appeased her for the next six months.


Luci is such a thinker. The other night when I was tucking her in bed she asked me "are there little people inside us that make pee and poo?" I gave her a nice discussion about our digestive system and asked her if she had any other questions. She immediately rattled off questions without hesitating to think them up, like: "How does our hair stay in?", "How do the walls stay up?", "Why do balls bounce?", "how does the fan work?", "how do we blink", "how does the guy in the music box pop out all by himself?".
I didn't even realize she thought about stuff like that yet. Every night since, we have started a tradition of letting her ask us a couple of questions after we tuck her in. That girl craves learning!

A few things I've been up to lately.


This project was really easy. Scrapbook paper, a dollar frame from Michaels, and modge podge.



I also changed the picture that was hanging in our front entry way from this . . .



. . . to this.


I got this mirror at a yard sale for $2. The frame was ugly and the back was moldy, so I took them off and mounted the mirror without them. Kind of looks a bathroom in our entry way now, but I think I like it better than before.

And one more thing to throw in this post . . .

Kirk made Luci a drawing table out of an old diaper box and some foam core we had lying around. She's always dying to be in there with him, doing exactly what he's doing, so now she can. (Just ignore our messy office)

5 comments:

Michele said...

That's so cute about Luci. We used to sing to Shelby at night but now when we tuck her in she says, "let's talk about cats and dogs."

I think your modge podge letters are adorable too. I have been looking for something like that to stick in the girls room.

Unknown said...

It looks like you guys are having a great summer. The stories about Luci are hilarious. You're a good mom!

Nicole Marsh said...

Luci is so cute! I love that she was asking so many questions. It is amazing the things that they think about. Your frames turned out really cute. I like the mirror too.

Lori said...

Luci is such a sweetie. I like her drafting table, maybe that will keep her mind off the glitter :). BTW I LOVE your half birthday celebration. . .we may just have to adopt that every year.

Marisa Jean said...

You want to come re-decorate my house? The changes you made are fantastic! I love the story about her asking about the digestive system. Those are the questions that prove the tenderness of kids. Love it.